whoze bin messin' wif da weather ?

Started by balsum fractus, January 05, 2012, 08:39:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stetto

-11° in the Springs. I walked down the street to get the mail (my Cutco knives finally arrived!), and it's a ghost town out there. Having grown up with this kinda stuff it doesn't get to me like the powder puff crowd who moved in from Florida, Georgia and *yup* Texas, but the quiet is a bit unnerving...

Forecast colder tomorrow and Tuesday, then global warming comes back to thaw us out.

Onepoint

We got all the way up to +5, after -25 last night.  Which lasted long enough until I went out, and then dropped to 1.  Diesel tractor wouldn't start, even after plugging in for 4 hours, jumping the battery and rescue in the fuel, it was having none of it.  The 70 year old Farmall M did though, it protested and groaned but fired off, hydraulics and gear oil so stiff I didn't think I was going to get it in gear.  But cows are fed and bedded, water hauled and I am inside defrosting toes and sipping my giant sized mug of Swiss mocha. :thumb:

wtxsflyr

Was 9 here this morning, got all the way up to 12.  Kubota UTV fired up after cycling the glow plugs twice.  Heaters in the water troughs are working good. Heat lamps on the dog houses are keeping the big dogs warm.

stetto

We had a high of 7° at midnight, at 10:30 this morning it's -5.

Crazy man...

balsum fractus

Wow! It's warmed up to almost freezing!! From -40 to +29 is a pretty noticeable change!!

jetmex

Once again, the gate minders in the great white north have failed us miserably  :disgust:.  28 degrees with freezing rain and light sssss.......snsnnnssnnsss.......ssssssnnnnn....well, you know.  Not enough to make little round frozen white men, but enough to pretty much shut a lot of the city down.  Ground stops at both airports, and a few highways going north (of course) are closed down for wrecks.  I suspect the schools will be closed tomorrow, but they'll wait until o'dark thirty to let everyone know. Just another fine January day in the swamp.  Possible temps in the teens tonight....

Onepoint

We have hovered around -5 today, but with nice cooling breeze so you don't sweat

balsum fractus

Quote from: jetmex on January 15, 2024, 03:58:17 PM
Once again, the gate minders in the great white north have failed us miserably  :disgust:...

As I said before, if you guys down in the basement would throw some logs in the furnace once in awhile, it wouldn't have gotten so damn cold! 😉

Onepoint

-26 last night. or still I should say.  Supposed to get up in the 20s, with a breeze, which will likely start moving around the 7" of snow we ended up with. 

Who ordered this winter stuff?

jetmex

QuoteAs I said before, if you guys down in the basement would throw some logs in the furnace once in awhile, it wouldn't have gotten so damn cold! 😉

I don't think there are enough logs around here to build a fire big enough to thaw us out.  It would be much easier if you northerners would just please close the gate... :disturbed:

18 degrees with wind chill in single digits.  Wind is 15kts coming right outta Canada, bypassing that snow fence in Kansas.  Our pumping station is partially frozen, so we don't have any water at the moment.  One more day of this, then we're supposed to be in the 40s on Wednesday.

Onepoint

I just looked at my recorded temps, we were -29, Mom in town said hers showed -36.  No wonder the UTV didn't want to start

stetto

I sincerely hope that you weren't on the streets yesterday, Jaime. The interweb is flooded with traffic videos from the Houston area. Not a good thing

jetmex

Stetto, I don't go out on days like that unless I absolutely have too.  People in this place can't drive when it's clear and sunny, God forbid there's rain or snow.  We're not set up for cold weather here, so it's always a new experience when something like this happens.  Not to mention the fact the population has exploded since we got here 30 something years ago, so now there are literally millions of people freaking out.  Honestly, if Pat wasn't dead set against it and the kids weren't all close by, I'd be moving away from here.

Above freezing for the first time in two days, but will be back in the high 20s tonight.

Onepoint

Mother nature is such a practical joker.  Woke up to 30mph winds, but it was 39 degrees, above freezing for the 1st time in seems like, Oh I don't a decade or so, water running off the roof, snow melting on sidewalks, making it like greased glass to walk on.   10am I glanced at the temp, 20 degrees. What!? And its starting to snow.  By noon its 16 and an inch of snow.  :disgust:  Everything is now frozen to what ever it was touching.

Such a kidder, can we stop playing winter now?

jetmex

Nature tease happening here, too.  66 degrees and sunny right now, on a way back to lows in the 20s over the weekend.  Then back to the 60's and rain next week.