whoze bin messin' wif da weather ?

Started by balsum fractus, January 05, 2012, 08:39:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

balsum fractus

Quote from: Onepoint on May 18, 2023, 06:21:39 AM
I appreciate the thought, but you guys could have kept the smoke.   Woke up to some drizzle and I thought wow it's really socking in, until I stepped out and smelled the smoke.  Actually is pretty thick right now, which is kind of surreal for as damp as we are.

Cough....cough....hack....!

It's worse up here!

Onepoint

Yeah I saw the plume map, we got a day of really heavy smoke, and then several of heavy haze.

jetmex

No haze here, but we have been under "unhealthy air" warnings for a few days because of ozone.

Mostly sunny apart from the storm that hit us late yesterday afternoon.  Sun was out, then it got really dark, rained really hard for half an hour, then the sun came back out and turned this place into a sauna.  If you don't like the weather here, wait a minute...

Onepoint

We finally have hit our late spring pattern of warm breezy days and thunderstorms by early aftertnoon, some have been pretty severe, but we have missed most of them except rain.  Sunday was a rare picture perfect day, spent it out mowing and then shooting and getting sunburned.  Looks like another week of unsettled thunderstorms coming for us though.

But what a difference from last year, or even last month that was looking so dry, everything is green and overgrown instead of stunted and grey.

stetto

We're getting rain almost everyday. Unfortunately every storm has come with hail.

My Serranos aren't going to take much more.

Onepoint

I bet row covers will be a good investment.

stetto

Quote from: Onepoint on May 31, 2023, 07:29:07 AM
I bet row covers will be a good investment.

Yeah, I have one on the way, but the neighbors say they don't have stability for the 60+ mph breezes they get here.

Hopefully next year I'll have the greenhouse I was promised.

Onepoint

Make them from PVC and rebar stakes and hail cloth, they hold up OK in our wind if they are low.

balsum fractus

Just a quick northern update......thunderstorms and rain showers have made a welcome appearance!

Onepoint

Our storms have been merging and becoming massive.  Start out with a cell that blows up into a orange patch on the map that covers a 5 mile radius, and by the time it's over the red and orange part covers a 50 mile radius or more as it moves.  Last night it was a 100 mile strip 40 miles wide moving through of red and orange on the map.  Still hit or miss as to the worst of it, but we have picked up at least a 1/4" of rain every day, and some close calls with hail, and are supposed to go clear into the end of next week this way. Made the hay grow, but I don't know when I will get a chance to cut it. 

stetto

We're getting hammered every day now. Same types as the Honcho, they seem to develop almost directly overhead and wind up with some manner of hail.

But mornings are gorgeous, and the bulk of afternoons warm and only slightly breezy. Then the sky falls down.

Lots of aviation activity yesterday: I think a C17 is stationed here, or crews are training on it. A10s aren't near as loud as the F16s and 22s. We have a small number of C130s fitted for fire duty that do touch and goes for a good part of the afternoons, but yesterday you'd have thought that a climate conference was going on for all the private jets! Military brass here for the Academy graduation? I dunno.

Onepoint

A10s get more noisy when they go brrrrrrt, especially when its coming at you.   :icon_biggrin:

We have gotten 1/4 to 1/3 of an inch every day since last Sunday, its getting kind of soggy here now, which is a switch from Afghanistan dry.

jetmex

No rain here, just hot (92 degrees), muggy and cloudy.  There have been thunderstorms all around us, but nothing here.

There are no airplanes here, apart from the usual airliners going over the house.  Did get a bit of a break last week when I went to the Lone Star Flight Museum with a friend.  The museum has gone downhill quite a bit in the last few years, but Lewis Air Legends A-20 Havoc was visiting, which was a nice surprise.  My dad used to work the the guy who originally owned it and somewhere in his stuff is a picture of 9 year old me sitting on a milk crate in the cockpit of that airplane while it was being restored the first time.  The other surprise was watching the NASA WB-57 shooting touch and goes at Ellington Field.  That was worth the trip!

Onepoint

This is just a weird year for weather.  Yesterday we got to 60 and light drizzle just about all day, not really wet, just damp and breezy.  They keep predicting heavy rain but we have seen none of it so far.  I keep putting off cutting hay because they say "the next couple days are going to be wet before it warms up and dries out" and that was 6 days ago already and they keep pushing it ahead. Its been neither particularly wet,   yet hasn't warmed up either.   And all the hay in in overdrive growing, starting to lay down its so  heavy and tall  And of course too wet to mow much, so it looks like the place is abandoned.

Farmers, never happy with the weather.

balsum fractus