Well, we finally did it...

Started by jetmex, November 12, 2012, 05:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jetmex

After a lot of discussion, Pat and I went with our Marine son in law to one of the gun shows and bought ourselves a pair of Bersa Thunder 9mm semi-auto pistols.  We differed a little on our preferences - Pat liked the compact version with a 3.25 inch barrel and 13 round magazine.  I chose the standard model with the 4.25 inch barrel and a 17 round mag.  The guns came well recommended from several of my gun nut friends.  Haven't put any ammo through them yet, but it won't be long.  Pat is wanting to freak  :eek5: out all her libtard friends with this, so I'll post the pics when she does.  Both daughters have Bersa .380's and are very happy with them.

Been a long time since I've had any firearms around.  I used to shoot small bore rifles competitively a lot of years ago, never did much with handguns.  Son in law took us to the range to let us shoot some of his arsenal a few months ago, and we were hooked.

Bersa is Argentinian, BTW.  A friend asked why I went that route.  I told him it was because the Mexicans don't make guns.... :icon_mrgreen:

Onepoint

Bersas are good stuff. I have never owned one, but they looked and felt good when I played with them in the shops.  and I don;t think I have ever heard them complained about.  They must be good because  they are tough to find used. Welcome to the club!

stetto

QuoteI told him it was because the Mexicans don't make guns....

Hee hee, why would they? The US justice department gives them away as halloween treats and tosses them to the kiddies from parade floats!! :devil:

Frazz

Any of ya guys into reloading?  I used to reload my .222  and .308 about 30-35 years ago.  Think it was an rcbs press and dies.  Everything was manual.  Now, I was thinking of maybe getting a press that you pull the handle once, and a completes shell kicks out.  I figured out of all of us, its either gonna be Carl or Honcho.  Ive still got the old press, rifle dies, primer tube, case trimmer, and grain scales. 
To understand true love, lock your dog and your wife in the trunk of your car for an hour and then see which one is glad to see you when you come back

Frazz

Quote from: jetmex on November 12, 2012, 05:22:11 PM
I chose the standard model with the 4.25 inch barrel and a 17 round mag.

Henceforth known as El John Wayno...    :disturbed:
To understand true love, lock your dog and your wife in the trunk of your car for an hour and then see which one is glad to see you when you come back

wtxsflyr

You are right Frazz,  I do reload,  been a day or three, but still have all my stuff.  The best progressive press that you can get is a Dillon, imho.  I still use the old RCBS RockChucker and it serves me well, if I shot a lot of competition pistol I would definitely get a Dillon.  I currently have everything to reload the following calibers: 223, 243, 25-06, 6.5 Grendel, 270, 270 WSM, 280, 7 mag, 300 Win. Mag, 300 WSM, 300 RUM.

Onepoint

I had a single stage Lee press, but sold it when we moved because I already had boxes and boxes of stuff to move and ammo was cheap at the time.   
Been tempted to get back into it, but just don;t have the room, between plane stuff and gun stuff as it is thee no room to do anything, and then the reloading supplies were the 1st to get scarce when ammo tightens up as well.

jetmex

#7
QuoteHenceforth known as El John Wayno...

Excuse me, that's El Juan Wayno.  Uncle Sancho will be paying you a visit shortly.....such slights cannot go unavenged.  :disturbed:

Bought a few more boxes of 9mm ammo this weekend, that seems to be about the cheapest there is next to .22's.  Going to book some range time after turkey day to go break in the new guns.

Now I have a question - in the box was a small envelope with an empty 9mm shell in it.  What is it for? 

Frazz

El Juano, that empty case is for the States who require an empty casing so as to have a copy of your particular gun characteristics. 

Here is something from my ruger manual.  I assume that if you read the manual  :eek5: you will find something similar :icon_mrgreen:




Certain states and jurisdictions require that all newly manufactured pistols and revolvers must be accompanied by a cartridge case, which has been test fired from that gun at the factory.  The case must be placed in a sealed container bearing certain information concerning this test cartridge.

At the time of retail sale in those jurisdictions, firearms dealers must forward such test cardridge to a designated destination such as their State Police Laboratory.  As independent distributers of Rugar firearms have nationwide markets without territorial restrictions, we have decided to include a fired cartridge case with all new ruger pistols and revolvers, to minimize the possibility of inadvertent non-compliance with these laws.

Retail customers located in other states, where laws or regulations do not require the dealer to so act, may be assured that the fired cartridge case they receive with the firearm at the time of retail purchase is proof that our new ruger firearm has undergone our normal test firing procedures during manufacture.



And iffn uncle Sancho comes to visit, we'll go shoot the %@#s%& outta something or another.
To understand true love, lock your dog and your wife in the trunk of your car for an hour and then see which one is glad to see you when you come back

jetmex

Ah, so!  I did read the manual, except for all the disclaimers, warnings, product catalogs and toxic materials in california list.

Thanks, Frazz!